Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Another Shot

So it has been over a year since I decided to give up the dream of becoming a poker pro. Well it did not go away. I've learned a lot and have decided to give it a shot. This time I will be realistic about this. I figure it will take 2 years of playing part time to build up the bank roll necessary to become a pro. I would need a bankroll of at least 50K and at least 100K in savings. So you can see that 2 years might even be a tad optimistic.

Anyway I made a post yeasterday at Pokertips.org about my part-time plan:

Hi Everyone!

It has been awhile since I have posted here. I took a downturn last year when I jumped up to 100NL, realized I was playing scared, gave up my dream up turning pro, and started just playing for fun. I cashed out most of my bankroll and just played a lot of $5 SNGs and low buy in tourneys.

I have built my bankroll up to over 1K since then and am thinking of going back to cash games with the intention of poker becoming a solid part-time job. I would be interested in the forum members’ comments to my plan. I am a solid winning player at almost every game I have tried (all low limits,) with over 20,000 hands at 50NL making around 10bb/hour. I have been playing 25NL lately and making a little while reorienting myself to cash games.

I am a teacher, so from June 22 through September, I will be able to devote a lot of time and energy at poker. By June 22nd I would like to have $1500 to be fully bankrolled for $50NL. I plan to 2-3 table this for at least 25-30 hours a week with the intention of having a 3K bankroll by the beginning of September. I really need a solid $500 added to our monthly budget to cover lifestyle expenses. I will not use poker money for necessities of life.

I have done a lot of thinking and here are my major leaks and how I plan to address them.

Playing week tight – I have to have a large bankroll. I need a minimum of 3K to play 100NL and would need 10K before moving up to 200NL

Drinking – Last summer I started playing more recreationally and having some beers while playing became the norm. I need to cut back a little anyway, so no more drinking and playing cash games. I will have a separate site with $100 to play $5 SNGs if I want to have some beers. This will be above the 25-30 hours that are for serious play.

Attention Span – My attention span is really not there sometimes, especially in cash games. Two weeks ago, my Dr. diagnosed me with ADD and prescribed Adderall, and it does help. I will also not watch TV while playing my cash games. I also will limit my multi-table sessions to 45-60 minutes at a time. If it’s a good table, I will sit out for 10 minutes every hour to give myself a break.

Optimistic goal for 2007: Bankroll at least 3.5K with 2K in savings, able to cash out 1K a month. This will allow for a downswing and still have 2 months of income to draw from. This will be my part-time job.

So does this sound like a realistic plan? Has anyone else had a problem with the psychological aspects of downswings in NL and is a larger bankroll a good solution? Since I will be playing during the morning and afternoon this summer (east coast,) what is the best network for daytime play?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home